Mixed Seafood Salad
This chilled marinated salad, inspired by the Italian dish frutti di mare, is equally at home at a fancy dinner party or a casual lunch. Use whatever seafood looks best at market, adding Maine shrimp, clams, poached fish, smoked oysters, or anything else that catches your eye.
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (discard any that won’t close)
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 pound cleaned squid
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head frisée lettuce, separated into leaves and heavy stems removed
- Leaves from 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro (about 2 cups, loosely packed)
- 2 ribs celery, sliced as thinly as possible
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- Red chile flakes
Place the mussels in a covered pot with the water and half the lemon juice. Cook over high heat until the shells begin to open. Remove the mussels to a bowl as they open, leaving behind as much of the broth as possible. Discard any mussels that haven’t opened after 5 minutes. Remove the mussels from their shells, saving only the meat.
Prepare the squid by slicing the tubes across into the thinnest possible rings. Leave the tentacles intact. Place the squid in the pot with the mussel broth and place over medium heat. Cook until the squid begins to stiffen. Stir constantly so it cooks evenly and does not glom together. After about 5 minutes, the squid will be cooked. Remove it from the broth and add it to the mussels.
To make the dressing, mix 1 tablespoon of the cooking broth with the remaining lemon juice. Season with a little salt and a few cracks of black pepper. Add the olive oil and whisk to combine. Pour over the mussels and squid and mix. Marinate the seafood for at least 1 hour but no longer than overnight.
To serve, mix the frisée with the cilantro, celery, and onion and add the marinated seafood. Check for seasoning and add more salt if necessary. Toss to combine and serve immediately. Offer a pinch of red chile flakes at the table.
Serves 4 as a first course
- Anchovies and Peppers
- Avocado-Dill Soup with Smoked Trout
- Butternut Soup with Dungeness Crab
- Garlic-Yogurt Mashed Potatoes
- Grilled Greens
- Halibut with Ginger-Raisin Crust
- Mixed Seafood Salad
- Orange and Fennel Salad with Anchovy Vinaigrette
- Poached Mackerel Roll with Spiced Mayonnaise
- Raw Kale Salad
- Sardines with Currants and Roasted Pine Nuts
- Sautéed Greens with Orange, Anchovy, and Red Onion
- Smoked Sardines with Heirloom Tomatoes and Herbs
- Spiced Low Country Crawfish Boil
- Steamed Clams and Basil Pesto
- Wild Striped Bass with Cilantro-Onion Salad and Yogurt-Avocado Purée